Friday, March 25, 2011

Blog #3 = Destroying Paul Theroux moral !!

In the article "The Male Myth" by Paul Theroux I could sense the anger and confusedness of the author about man’s masculinity and his own masculinity, but in my personal opinion the author had a wrong view of man. To be honest I think that the author was raped by a man or something related to that make him think about the brutality of man and left him with all the hate. Also maybe when he was a child he was very feminine and he couldn’t be accepted by the other kids, for example in sports. He said “the manly attitude toward sports seems to be little more than a recipe for bad marriages, social misfits, moral degenerates, sadist, latent rapists and just plain louts”. I completely disagree with his statement, for personal experience I could say that sports are the best way to create a real man, not by teaching toughness but teaching him responsibility and values. I was a soccer player in high school and our coach was very tough with us when it comes to be polite, responsible, team player and gentleman. The author might experience something very cruel in his childhood about sports that affirmed with authority that sports are the cause of man’s bad behavior. Bad marriages? Social misfit? Latent rapist? In what he based such statement ? because any of those examples fits in my behavior just because I played soccer. Is he saying if you play sports you will become a rapist?
Other confusedness he showed is when stated “I found it impossible to admit to myself that I want to be a writer …because being a writer was incompatible with being a man…you have to demonstrate your manhood to be a writer” . What a douche! writing is one of the most wonderful things to do in order to express your opinion, feelings or stories, but to him it was something about “be or not be” thing. I highly doubt it that Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nicholas Sparks, Stephen King, Shakespeare or Edgar Allen Poe, etc worried about people thinking they were feminine. An individual that is very sure or confident about his sexually will never even think about people saying something different about it. The author also affirmed “money is masculinity. So is drinking” Is he saying that women can’t be wealthy? To my opinion, his comment was very immature; women could have the same desire to be rich as a man but not in (Mr.?) Theroux’s ideology…and drinking… I am 22 years old and I don’t drink, that doesn’t make me more feminine, I have seen girls drinking worst that an Irish Viking and that doesn’t make them less feminine. To the author’s erroneous way to point out man’s masculinity view I just have to say that the author is a bad informed, very feminine and very traumatic writer.
Due to two of his novels name “My secret life” and “My Other Life” Theroux has been accused of belaboring themes, structural conceits, and displaying a base preoccupation with his sexual perversity that in this article we view. Theroux could be one of the best writers in today’s literature but to me is another antipathic pitiful incoherent amateur writer.

2 comments:

  1. I'm perturbed by your pronouncement that the author "was raped by man"?!? Where in the text did you find an indication or proof of such occurance?!?
    I agree with you that Theroux's piece is biased and emphasizes all the negative stereotypes of masculinity. But I find it very interesting that in order to articulate your point that Theroux's "comment is immature" your refer to him "very feminine and very traumatic writer"? I'm fairly certain that you did not intend to equate immaturity with femininity? Do you have a source where you read about Theroux being "accused of belaboring themes, structural conceits, and displaying a base preoccupation with his sexual perversity" or have you read these two novels youself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss B,

    I'd notice your reaction about my blog, which it was the same when I read Theorux's article. With your reaction I'm proving my point... that a article or blog or any kind of writen piece of work needs a base; a evidence that could proof your point of view. I did the same that Theorux did...explain my personal opinion and belief based on something call "personal knowledge/ believes" that in fact i couldn't prove and I am the only one who could understand my own point. Now that I proved my point of view about Theorux's article I will prove my opinion base on real facts and studies on other blog that i will name "Prove me wrong" explaining Blog # 3
    I hope you understand my view.

    ReplyDelete